Rediff.com  » Sports » Italian tennis player banned in betting probe

Italian tennis player banned in betting probe

February 19, 2008 12:38 IST
Get Rediff News in your Inbox:

Giorgio Galimberti has become the fourth Italian player to be banned for betting on tennis matches, the ATP said on Monday.

In a statement, the men's governing body said the 31-year-old had been found guilty of wagering on the outcome of matches from June 2003 to January 2006. He has been banned for 100 days and fined $35,000.

An ATP investigation was launched in August and their findings were presented to the independent Anti-Corruption Hearing Officer, Dr. Peter Bratschi, who ruled that Galimberti had committed an offence.

In November last year Alessio di Mauro was banned for nine months and fined $60,000 for wagering on matches while in December former world number 35 Potito Starace and Daniele Bracciali were sanctioned for six weeks and three months respectively for similar offences.

"The ATP's Tennis Anti Corruption Program is clear in regards to gambling on tennis matches by ATP players, player associates and staff," said Gayle David Bradshaw, the ATP's executive vice president of rules and competition.

"Everyone connected to the ATP Tour has a duty to abide by the rules, especially those designed to protect and uphold the integrity of our sport."

Corruption has been high on the ATP's agenda following an investigation last year prompted by irregular betting patterns over a match between world number four Nikolay Davydenko of Russia and Argentine Martin Vassallo Arguello in Poland.

Both players deny any involvement, but several players have said they have been offered money to throw matches.

The ATP's Anti-Corruption Program, established in 2003, prohibits wagering on any form of tennis.

Get Rediff News in your Inbox:
Source: source
© Copyright 2020 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.
SHARE THIS STORYCOMMENT

India tour of Australia 2020

India's tour of Australia 2020