Home > Sports > Athens 2004 > India Watch > Report
Chanu finishes fourth
August 15, 2004 20:37 IST
Sanamacha Chanu joined the list of Indian casualties at the Olympics after managing a total lift of only 190 kg, which saw her finish fourth in the 53 kg women's Olympic weightlifting competition in Athens on Sunday.
The 26-year-old, who had finished sixth in the last edition of the Games at Sydney, turned in a good showing in the clean and jerk (107.5) to take her tally to 190 kg, where she was tied with two other lifters, but finished fourth on lesser body weight. In the snatch all she could lift was 82.5 kgs.
Udomporn Polsak of Thailand proved too strong for the rest of the field to win the gold with a total lift of 222.5 kg while the silver and bronze went to Raema Lisa Rumbewas of Indonesia (210) and Mabel Mosquera of Colombia (197.5) respectively.
Women's 48-53kg - 53 kg - 15.08.04
1. Udomporn Polsak (Tha) 222.5kg
2. Raema Lisa Rumbewas (Ina) 210.0kg
3. Mabel Mosquera (Col) 197.5kg
4. Sanamacha Chanu (Ind) 190.0kg
5. Marioara Munteanu (Rom) 190.0kg
6. Nastassia Novikava (Blr) 190.0kg
7. Dika Toua (Png) 177.5kg
8. Virginie Lachaume (Fra) 175.0kg