Rediff.com  » News » 'No evidence': UP cops get 'clean chit' in Vikas Dubey encounter

'No evidence': UP cops get 'clean chit' in Vikas Dubey encounter

Source: PTI   -  Edited By: Hemant Waje
April 21, 2021 12:42 IST
Get Rediff News in your Inbox:

The three-member inquiry commission probing the encounter killings of gangster Vikas Dubey and five of his alleged associates has given a clean chit to Uttar Pradesh Police because of lack of evidence, sources said on Wednesday.

IMAGE: Vikas Dubey and his five associates were killed by the UP police in July last year. Photograph: ANI/Twitter

The commission is headed by former Supreme Court judge B S Chauhan.

The other two members are former Allahabad high court judge Sashi Kant Agrawal and former UP Director General of Police K L Gupta.

The panel submitted its report to the state government on Monday, eight months after it was set up.

"Yes the commission has submitted its report to the state government on Monday. A copy of the report will be submitted in the Supreme court also," Gupta told PTI.

He, however, did not elaborate on the contents of the report.

 

Asked about it, Additional Chief Secretary, Home, Awanish Kumar Awasthi said, "I would not like to comment on it."

According to the sources, the inquiry commission has found no evidence of wrongdoing by the state police.

Speaking to PTI, a senior police official said, "No witnesses came forward to challenge the police claims even after advertisements in newspapers and media. Also, no one from the media came forward to get their versions recorded."

There were, however, witnesses supporting the police version, he added.

On July 3 last year, eight policemen were killed in an ambush in Bikru village in Chaubeypur area of Kanpur when they were going to arrest Vikas Dubey.

Police later killed Prem Prakash Pandey (55) and Atul Dubey (35) in an encounter in Kanpur on July 3.

On July 8, Amar Dubey (30), who carried a reward of Rs 50,000 on him, was killed in an encounter in Maudaha village in Hamirpur district.

On July 9, Praveen Dubey, alias Bauwa (48), and Prabhat, alias Kartikeya (28), were killed in separate encounters in Etawah and Kanpur districts.

Six PILs were filed in the Supreme Court after this to seek a court-monitored probe into the encounter killings.

The apex court had then on July 22, 2020 approved the Uttar Pradesh government's decision to institute the inquiry commission.

Get Rediff News in your Inbox:
Source: PTI  -  Edited By: Hemant Waje© Copyright 2021 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.
SHARE THIS STORY 
The War Against Coronavirus

The War Against Coronavirus