Joe Biden delivered a powerful inaugural address, his first speech as United States president.
He called on the nation to unify and used his inaugural address to make a pledge to the country’s global allies.
Here are highlights from his speech:
- Democracy has prevailed
- This is America's Day. This is democracy's day. A day of history and hope
- Today we celebrate a triumph not of a candidate but of a cause, a cause of democracy
- America has been tested anew, and America has risen to the challenge
- The will of the people has been heard and the will of the people has been heeded
- White supremacy, domestic terrorism we will defeat. I want every American to join me in this cause
- I will be president for all Americans
- We will repair our alliances
- We’ll lead not merely by the example of our power, but by the power of our example