The trial of Saddam Hussein resumed under tight security in Baghdad on Monday. This is the third day of hearings since the proceedings began seven weeks ago.
After a 40-day adjournment to give counsel more time to prepare a defence for Saddam and seven associates accused of crimes against humanity, the judge had, last week granted a further delay to find replacements for defence lawyers who had been assassinated or fled Iraq.
Later, Saddam Hussein's defence team walked out of the court today after the chief trial judge refused to allow former Attorney General Ramsey Clark to challenge the tribunal's legitimacy in an address to the session. "We reject the appointment of court employees to defend us," Saddam said.
Chief Judge Rizgar Mohammed Amin said the tribunal had been established by an elected Iraqi government and only Saddam's chief lawyer could address the hearing. Amin asked the defence to submit its motion in writing.


