The Rediff Labs team analysed the 65th round of the National Sample Survey data for domestic travel to find out some interesting patterns in the way Indians travel.
Here are some interesting observations:
- For 31 per cent of Indian households the longest trip of the year was only one night long
- 73 per cent of all trips were of a social nature. This includes attending weddings, visiting family etc.
- Only 3 per cent of all trips were holidays
- 63 per cent of all trips were by bus followed by 16 per cent of trips made by train
- 50 per cent of trips were within the same district, 36 per cent were outside the district but within the same state and 15 per cent were outside the state but within India
Please note that only overnight trips within India were considered.
For more data-driven journalism, check out Rediff Labs