Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday hosted a summit of G4 nations -- Germany, India, Brazil and Japan -- at the United Nations to give a strong push to inter-government negotiations for early Security Council reform.
This is the first such summit after 2004 and comes after the UN General Assembly has resolved on a text-based negotiation on the Security Council’s reform.
Here are the top quotes by Modi at the meet:
1) I am delighted to welcome you all. I especially want to thank PM Shinzo Abe who has just arrived in the US
2) Trends in demography and migrations are posing new challenges, climate change and terrorism our new concerns
3) Reform of security council within a fixed time frame has become an urgent and important task
4) Security Council must include the world’s largest democracy
5) I am sure that this meeting today will give impetus for our efforts in this direction
6) The Security Council will carry greater credibility and legitimacy and will be more representative and effective in addressing challenges of 21st century
7) This is just the first step. We should aim to take this process to its logical conclusion during the 70th session
Image: Modi with the leaders of Brazil, Germany and Japan at the G4 summit. Photograph: @MEAIndia/Twitter