» News » Two more killed, Kashmir still on the boil

Two more killed, Kashmir still on the boil

By Mukhtar Ahmad
Last updated on: August 05, 2010 23:03 IST

Two more persons were killed and five others wounded in firing in the Kashmir Valley Thursday.


Meanwhile, chief minister Omar Abdullah had to face a hostile crowd during his visit to the Soura Medical Institute where he had gone to enquire about the welfare of the injured persons.


Omar flew to the institute in a chopper and met the injured persons in the post-operative ward of the hospital.


Security forces opened fire to disperse a huge procession in the south Kashmir Pulwama town Thursday afternoon, killing one youth identified as Shabir Ahmad Malik and wounding three others who were evacuated to Srinagar for specialized treatment.


Thousands of people who joined the procession were shouting pro-freedom and anti-India slogans and tried to march to Pulwama town for a rally which was disallowed by the police.


Early, this morning another injured Ghulam Mohammad Badyari, 45 succumbed to injuries in the SMHS hospital.


Badyari had been wounded in the paramilitary central reserve police force (CRPF)

firing when a mob attacked their picket with stones in the Ganpatyar locality in city interior last evening.


Hundreds of people joined the funeral of Badyari and police had to fire warning shots and tear smoke to control the mobs.


Groups of cricket-playing youth attacked passing vehicles of the paramilitary central reserve police force with stones at Sanboora near Pampore in south Kashmir Pulwama district late this afternoon.


Security forces opened fire critically wounding Abdul Rashid who was shifted to Srinagar for treatment. Rashid has suffered a critical head injury.


Mobs pelted stones at some passing CRPF vehicles at Delina on the Srinagar Muzaffarabad road in north Kashmir Baramulla district this afternoon.


The security forces opened fire to disperse the stone pelting mobs critically wounding Tariq Ahmad Wani who was evacuated to hospital for treatment.


Protests were also held in parts of capital city and other towns as mobs defied the curfew which is in force here for the past seven days.

Mukhtar Ahmad In Srinagar