Communications Minister A Raja met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday and briefed him about the developments in the telecom sector including recent policy decision like introduction of number portability and releasing spectrum for third generation (3G) mobile services.
The meeting lasted for about 25 minutes, official sources confirmed but did not give details.
Raja's meeting with Singh comes in the wake of Cellular Operators Association of India, a lobby of existing GSM players, labelling serious allegations against the minister saying the decision regarding use of dual technology has been taken in a completely non-transparent manner.
Raja had, last week, informed Singh that COAI was misleading the nation against the "scientific approach" on spectrum allocation.
The sector has been witnessing various controversies over the use of dual technology by a single operator and new method of spectrum allocation, even as the government has set up a fresh panel to revisit Telecom Engineering Centre's recommendations on spectrum issues.
Both the issues have been challenged by COAI in telecom tribunal TDSAT.
Some COAI members have sought Singh's intervention to protect their interests, while CDMA players and the new applicants have accused GSM lobby of being anti-competition.
Raja also announced a major policy decision on releasing spectrum for 3G
GSM players have also opposed the decision to introduce number portability. COAI has accused the government of favouring a particular operator wanting to enter their turf, while Anil Ambani-led CDMA operator Reliance Communications asked these companies to gear up to face "real competition".
"Mobile number portability was being introduced to benefit a select operator desirous of entering the GSM segment and thereafter poaching on the subscribers of existing GSM players," COAI Director General T V Ramachandran said.
Although the statement did not mention the name of the "select operator", RCom has announced mega plans to start GSM services across the country.
RCom chairman Anil Ambani lauded the new policy and said this would benefit customers. "It is pro-competition, pro-consumer and above all pro-choice. For the first time in four metros, GSM operators will face real competition," Ambani said.


