Officers of public sector oil companies on Tuesday postponed their proposed indefinite strike till July 17 as Delhi High Court issued notices to the Centre and Oil and Natural Gas Corporation on the matter.
"ONGC management had approached Delhi High Court against our strike. The court did not declare the strike illegal but issued notices to government and ONGC on our demands.
"The court has posted the matter for July 17 and till then we have postponed our strike," said L K Mirchandani, president of Association of Scientific and Technical Officers, the officers union of ONGC, which is part of Oil Sector Officers Association -- the body that called for the strike.
The officers were to go on strike from Wednesday.
OSOA Convenor Ashok Singh said in view of ONGC association's decision, "we have also decided to postpone the strike till July 17."
OSOA strike was to begin from 6 am Wednesday demanding wage hike.
Mirchandani said the association had meetings with ONGC management over the weekend where many internal issues, including payment of profit bonus was resovled. "But the issue of periodicity of wage revision, which rests with the government, is yet to be resolved. We want the periodicity to be reduced to 5 years instead of 10 years presently."
Petroleum Minister Murli Deora too had appealed to the officers of the 12 public sector oil companies to call-off their agitation as the government was sympathetically considering all their demands.
At a meeting with OSOA last week, the oil ministry agreed that the salary grievance was genuine but the Department of Public Enterprises stuck to its previous stand of not being able to bring about an enhancement in remuneration.
"We are taking up their cause at the highest level," said an oil ministry official.
Do you want to discuss stock tips? Do you know a hot one? Join the Stock Market Investments Discussion Group


