Telecom major Bharti Airtel Limited on Tuesday announced the launch of Airtel digital TV, its Direct To Home (DTH) satellite TV service.
The company claims that Airtel digital TV will 'redefine the digital home entertainment experience.'
The service, offering 175 channels, will be initially available to customers in 62 cities -- starting October 9, 2008 -- through 21,000 retail points, including retail relationship centres across the country. Later, it will be expanded to 252 cities.
The company is launching the services in the Southern region of India at Rs 1,999, while for rest of the country, the services will be available at an entry price of Rs 2,499.
Manoj Kohli, chief executive and joint managing director, Bharti Airtel, said, "Today we are starting a new chapter in our journey, one that adds a new dimension to our existing product portfolio and is a major step towards transforming Airtel from just a telecom brand to a lifestyle enabler. The launch of Airtel digital TV is the culmination of our three screens strategy, which is to be present across mobile phone, computer and TV screens."
Airtel digital TV uses the MPEG4 standard with DVB S2 technology, which translates into exceptional picture clarity and consistent high quality audio for the customer.
This latest technology also enables delivery of more complex interactive content and is high definition (HD) ready. Also, Airtel digital TV uses 20% larger dish antenna that offers better performance during rain.
Besides the latest technology, Airtel digital TV brings many firsts to the DTH segment in India:
- Universal remote for both Set Top Box and TV that offers enhanced viewer convenience;
- Highest Set Top Box memory enabling more interactive applications;
- Exclusive content such as World space Radio;
- Interactive applications such as iMatinee (book cinema tickets), iTravel (browse and book travel packages), iShop (shop on TV for your favorite brands), iCity (get your city's information) and Widgets (update yourself on latest stock news). 8 screen iNews, 2 / 4 screen iSports;
- Games with high quality graphics, refreshed every 6 weeks;
- Audio gain control for uniform audio levels across all channels;
- Simple and intuitive search;
- On screen account meter;
- Last viewed channel in case of power disruption/switch off;
- Low battery indicator on the screen;
- This, the company says, is backed by 24x7 customer care available in 8 different languages and a team of 800 professionally trained service engineers.