A few simple and efficient workouts to keep fresh through the day
Photographs: Brian Wolfe/Creative Commons
To stay physically fit, energetic, alert and to retain your vigour, efficient use of your time and a little creativity in planning your exercises are all that is required. You do not need to join a gym or buy expensive fancy equipments to work out.
Exercise routine: The following exercises are recommended to be done under supervision if you are new to exercises.
1. Begin your exercise routine with a suitable warm up and flexibility exercises like spot jogging, jumping jacks, calf stretches, hamstring, neck rotations, toe touches and side stretches. These warm ups are important to help prevent risk of sprains and injuries to the knee, spine, hips etc.
2. Do 5 to 8 rounds of suryanamaskars which is a complete body work out that promotes weight loss, stamina, metabolism and flexibility.
3. Squats: Stand erect with your feet apart. Slowly lower the body and squat down as far down as possible. Remember to keep your knees in line with the toes. Return to stand position and repeat for 2 sets of 15 reps each.
4. Lunges: Stand straight and move one leg forward and kneel on the back leg. Straighten, come back to normal position and repeat on the other leg. Do 2 sets of 15 reps.
5. Side leg kicks: Standing erect raise the right leg sideways as high as possible. Pause, lower and repeat for 15 to 20 counts. Then repeat on the other leg. This can be done front ways as well.
6. Abdominal crunches: Lie flat on the back with knees bent. Keep feet flat on the floor. With hands clasped behind the neck, tighten your stomach and slowly bring the torso up. Hold this position for a few seconds, lower slowly and repeat for 12 to 15 reps of 2 sets.
7. Lying down cycling: Lie with back to the floor, hands parallel to the body. Gradually raise both legs, bend your knees and begin to cycle by bringing your knees to the chest alternately like pedalling a bicycle.
Keep stomach muscles tight. Do 25 to 30 counts of two sets.
8. Oblique curl: Lie face up on the floor with hands behind your head. Bring the knees up with heels close to the butt. Curl the torso up, twist to one side by bringing the right elbow to the left knee and repeat on the other side. Repeat for 2 sets of 15 reps each side.
9. If time permits, these can be followed up with a few rounds of yogasanas like bhujangasan, sethubandhasan, dhanurasan and naukasan for core fitness.
10. Relax in shavasan and do 10 minutes of pranayam.
All of this will take about 30-40 minutes. Alternate these with brisk walks. Maintain this routine for at least 4-5 days in a week coupled with a healthy diet of whole grains, millets, vegetables, sprouts, salads, soups, vegetable juices, fruits, etc., for attaining the results that you wish for and to stay Mickeymised.