Presenting two Bengali recipes to drool over. You can share yours too!
- 1 kg hilsa
- 150 ml mustard oil
- 25 gm turmeric powder
- 25 gm green chillies
- 5 gm kalonji
- 25 gm yogurt
- 75 gm mustard paste
- 1 kg cashew nut paste
- 1 coconut, ground into paste
- 10 gm green chilli paste
- Salt to taste
- Marinate the fish in salt and a little turmeric powder. Leave it for an hour.
- Add half of the mustard paste to the coconut and cashew nut pastes, and then apply it on the fish.
- Heat 125 ml oil in a wok and add green chillies and kalonji.
- Add the remaining turmeric powder, green chilli paste and yogurt. Cook for three minutes.
- Then add the remaining mustard paste along with a little water.
- Cover and cook for another five minutes.
- Add the fish and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add 25 ml mustard oil and a whole green chilli. Cook for two minutes and serve warm.
- 1 kg mutton
- 7 boiled eggs
- 300 gm onion
- 150 gm mustard oil
- 2 spoon red chilly powder
- Half spoon Kashmiri powder
- 100 gm curd
- 1 tomato
- 1.5 spoon haldi powder
- Half spoon garam masala powder
- 75 gm ginger and garlic paste
- 2 gm garam masala (gota)
- Salt to taste
- Put oil in a kadai. Add whole garam masala.
- Add sliced onions and fry till brown. Add ginger, garlic paste, haldi powder, tomato, curd, Kashmiri chilly and red chilly powder.
- Cook for a while.
- Add mutton chunks. Cook it properly.
- Then add water and stir till paste turns brown in colour.
- When mutton is done add garam masala and eggs. Now, it is ready to serve.
Recipes and photographs: Kind courtesy Bhojohori Manna, Kolkata
Send us your favourite festive recipes. Write in to us at firstname.lastname@example.org (subject: Festive Recipes) with your name, hometown and any interesting details about the origin of the recipe, along with a photograph if possible. We'll publish the best preparations right here on Rediff.com and in India Abroad.