Rediff reader Rachna tells us how to make a quick recipe. You can share yours too.
Peas Pulao recipe or Matar Pulao is an admirable pot dish I've loved since childhood. It's really simple and easy to make, says Rachna.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Serves: 3 to 4
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 tbsp ghee or butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 whole big black cardamom
- 3 to 4 small green cardamom
- 1 aniseed
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 tsp shredded ginger
- 1 cup shelled peas or frozen
- Salt to taste
- A few mint leaves crushed
- 1 1/2 cup of water
- 10 to 12 cashews for garnishing
- Soak 1 cup basmati rice for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile thaw green peas if you are using frozen variety.
- After 30 minutes, drain the water and let the rice cool for 10 minutes.
- Place a pressure cooker on medium heat and heat the ghee.
- Roast the cashews till it get's brown colour.
- Take it out and keep it aside.
- In the same pan add the cumin seeds.
- Add the whole spices like bay leaves, black cardamom, green cardamom, aniseed and cloves.
- Saute for 10 seconds on low heat. Add shredded ginger.
- When the ginger browns a little, add peas and saute for a minute.
- Add rice, salt, mint leaves and water.
- Stir everything well once else rice will break.
- Bring it to a boil. Cover the lid
- Lower the flame to minimum and let it cook for 15 to 17 minutes.
- Switch off the flame.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes. Don't open the lid.
- After 10 to 15 minutes remove the lid and gently fluff the rice with fork.
- Serve hot.
Dear readers, you can send us your favourite recipes too.
We'll publish the best preparations right here on Rediff.com and in India Abroad.