» Getahead » 'What's the minimum age to apply for a US visa?'

'What's the minimum age to apply for a US visa?'

November 24, 2014 10:11 IST
Get Rediff News in your Inbox:

How to apply for a US visaIn an online chat with readers, on November 22, 2014, US Consulate General Mumbai's Consular Chief Deanna Abdeen addressed queries on how to apply for a US visa.

For those who missed the live chat, we bring you the transcript:

Vijay Kumar: Madam I am looking to do in master degree in management course. My age is 37. I am married with two kids. What is the right way to process my visa. Pls let me know

ConsularChief-Abdeen: Spouses and children of students are allowed to apply for dependent visas. More information is available at:

Ankur Choudhary: I want to do Ph.D chemistry from USA. Pls tell me about the procedure

ConsularChief-Abdeen: Hi Ankur - the first step would be to find a programme at a university. Great information is available at: EducationUSA: Once accepted at a school, you would come to the U.S. Consulate to apply for your visa. More info on that process is at: Good luck!

N Sharan: I have a H1 visa and I20 valid till June 2015. I complete my graduation in December 2014. Can I use my H1 visa to attend my convocation in May 2015 or do I need a tourist visa?

ConsularChief-Abdeen: If you have an F1 student, you can attend your graduation, but not only on an H1. You could also attend on a B1/B2.

Sandhya Singh: Hi if I want to send my daughter for a BTech programme in US what should I search for and how can I get a visa for her

ConsularChief-Abdeen: I'd recommend that you start with EducationUSA: to find an appropriate program for your daughter.

Govind: Dear Sir/Madam My Qualification are 2005 Intermediate, 2009 Bachelor of Art, 2011 M.B.A in IT and working last 3 years as a Accountant with Chartered Accountant now I want to Study in USA in account field. So what I have to do for US with education Visa and what should I have to do?

ConsularChief-Abdeen: Hi Govind - the first step would be to take a look at the universities that offer programmes that you are interested in. Then apply and once you are accepted. A great reference point is: EducationUSA: accepted, then apply for a visa. Info on how to do that is located at: Good luck!

Nitin Barekere: I am 40 years old and work as senior executive holding CXO level role. I am keen to pursue my MBA in a B School in US full time. Do I qualify for my student visa despite my age?

ConsularChief-Abdeen: There is no age limit on being a student. The first step is to apply and be accepted at a U.S. university.

Rakesh: Is there a limitation on the number of times you can apply for a visa after being rejected?

ConsularChief-Abdeen: No, there is no limitation. However, in most cases, since we are looking at your economic and social ties, we would recommend that you would not apply unless there was a change in your circumstances.

Naman: Sometimes we are not told why our application was rejected. Can you pls help me with the most common reasons why an application can be rejected

ConsularChief-Abdeen: During your visa interview, a consular officer will determine whether you are qualified to receive a visa, and if so, which visa category is appropriate based on your purpose of travel. In most cases of rejection, the applicant would not have established that they have strong social and economic ties outside of the US

Sai Kumar: Can I continue my studies in USA which I have stopped 5-6 years Back here in India?

ConsularChief-Abdeen: Yes, absolutely. We have many people that choose to return to school following time either working or for other reasons. The first step would be to be accepted into a university programme. Good luck!

Dananjaypuri: I'm 21 and intend to pursue a 2-YR management course in the US. Can I work part-time? pls guide

ConsularChief-Abdeen: Yes, you can work while you are in student status, but only under certain conditions. Take a look at

Jeswal: What are the different types of student visas available? where can I get these details?

ConsularChief-Abdeen: Great question! take a look at:

Mustafa: How much funds are required to be able to apply for a student visa?

ConsularChief-Abdeen: The student visa application costs $160. You will also need to pay a SEVIS fee. Then, during your interview, you will need to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to pay for the first year of studies.

Alex: Do I need to show confirmation of application to apply for a visa?

ConsularChief-Abdeen: Yes. If you are applying for a student visa, you will need to show proof that you have been admitted into an accredited university.

More information is available at

Dinkar Dosanjh: Dear Sir, how long can I study abroad? What is the maximum time period?

ConsularChief-Abdeen: Hi Dinkar! You can be in student status as long as you are a full time student at an accredited university. 

Programmes run anywhere from a few weeks to multiple years.

Ulfat: Can I apply for a visa if I dont have any relatives or friends in the US?

ConsularChief-Abdeen: Absolutely! There is no requirement for a relative or friend in the U.S. to obtain a visa.

Ni-Ji: If the child is under scholarship programme, what are document required to obtain visa.

ConsularChief-Abdeen: Congratulations on getting a scholarship! please make sure you bring that information with you on the day of your appointment.

We will want to see how you plan to pay for the first year of studies.

Nitin Joshi: Under what conditions will my visa application be rejected?

ConsularChief-Abdeen: At the time of the visa interview the officer will make a determination if the student demonstrates that the applicant is a bonafide student.

Students that do not appear to be credible students or do not have adequate proof of their ability to fund at least the first year of their studies will not be approved.

Applicants who unable to demonstrate that their primary intention when the are in the U.S. is to be a full time student would not qualify.

Also, the applicant must be able to show how they will pay for the first year of studies.

Panse Kaisare: Dear Deanna, should I apply to both the M.A. and Ph.D. programmes?

ConsularChief-Abdeen: It really depends on what you want to do, as well as how the university programme is administered. I recommend you talk to the programme advisor at the university. good luck!

Nitish Chandak: Hi there, can you give me some topics names or courses within USA studies.

ConsularChief-Abdeen: There is a lot of great information about schools in the US and American studies programmes at: EducationUSA:

Kartik Dhadda: What requirements do I need to fulfil to study abroad?

ConsularChief-Abdeen: For student visas, please visit You will find a great deal of information about preparing and applying for a student visa.

Pratik Mishra: What should I do if I need to work in US directly ?Applying from India will work?If not then what else can. I am an IT guy with 2 years of Exp.

ConsularChief-Abdeen: First you need to secure a job in the U.S., then your employer can apply for a work visa for you.

Gerebald: How to get a student visa for 5-year-old in the US?

ConsularChief-Abdeen: Applicants must be old enough to attend at least an elementary school (year one in India) before they would be eligible to apply for a U.S. student visa.

Praful Prasad: Hi Ma'am I have done my 12th 2012 after that I have not continued my study's so I'm worried about how can I apply for us visa

ConsularChief-Abdeen: If you have completed year 12, you are eligible to apply for admission for a bachelors or associates degree at a US university.

Jignesh Kaisth: It will be scary to think that our child travel abroad alone. What are the safety measures available?

ConsularChief-Abdeen: The US is a very welcoming place for Indian students.

Most US colleges have an international student services office with trained staff available to answer questions and help you adapt to US university life.

The international student services office also organises a variety of regularly schedule events for international students.

Also -- many US campuses have Indian student associations, which organise events on a regular basis.

For more information on preparing to study in the US and adapting to US campus and academic life, see:

Amit Shellar: I want to study bachelor manufacturing engineering in University of Phoenix US.

What's your opinion about it?

Can you help me with that? What have to do for that?

ConsularChief-Abdeen: While we do not recommend and evaluate schools, there is quite a bit of information online and through other sources about university rankings.

You may want to consider contacting a credible education advisor to find the best fit for you.

Shonali Sengupta: How long can I study abroad?

ConsularChief-Abdeen: Depends on the course of study of your programme. Programmes range from several weeks to several years.

Shikhamani Sharma: What questions are asked in a visa interview. Please help.

ConsularChief-Abdeen: The questions will typically depend on the type of visa that you are applying for. In most cases, we will be looking to learn about what economic and social ties you have to your place of residence.

If you are applying for a student visa, we would also be looking at how you would finance your first year of study in the U.S. and whether you intend to be a student in the US.

Shikhamani Sharma: What questions are asked in a visa interview. Please help.

ConsularChief-Abdeen: The questions will typically depend on the type of visa that you are applying for. In most cases, we will be looking to learn about what economic and social ties you have to your place of residence.

If you are applying for a student visa, we would also be looking at how you would finance your first year of study in the US and whether you intend to be a student in the US.

ria dsouza: My husband is currently working in the US. I want to pursue higher studies in the US. Should I apply for a dependent visa or a student visa?

ConsularChief-Abdeen: If your spouse is in the U.S. on an H1b or L visa you may travel to the U.S. on a dependent H4 or L2 visa. You may study on a dependent visa but you will not be eligible for OPT. You also may chose to apply for a student visa. It is your choice.

Riyaz Sheikh: What is the minimum age to apply for a student visa?

ConsularChief-Abdeen: There is no minimum age. Students at any level may study in the United States. We occasionally even see elementary school aged children who travel to the U.S. to study.

binoy mathew: I hold a M1 visa which is valid till November 2018.

During my first visit in Jan'14 I could not complete the course hence planning to go to the US by Jan '15 for 2 weeks to complete the remaining modules.

Will I need a new I20 form from the school and do I need to pay the SEVIS fee again?

ConsularChief-Abdeen: You need a valid I-20 and to ensure that the school still considers you a current student. Best that you contact the school directly to confirm.


Get Rediff News in your Inbox: