England’s Ben Stokes struck a double ton while teammate Jonny Bairstow struck a century on Day 2 of the second Test against South Africa at Newlands on Sunday. England eventually declared on 629 for six wickets. In reply, the Proteas were 149 for 2 at stumps.
Following are the records set by England and Stokes en route his magnificent double century and the massive first innings total...
* Ben Stokes and Jonny Bairstow set a world record sixth wicket partnership with 399 runs, beating the previous best of 365 set by New Zealand's Kane Williamson and BJ Watling against Sri Lanka last year.
* Stokes's 258 was the most runs by a batsmen at number six, beating the previous best of 250 set by Australia's Doug Walters against New Zealand in 1977.
* Stokes made the fasTest 250 in Test history, reaching the landmark off 196 balls.
* Stokes hit 11 sixes, the most in a Test innings by an England cricketer. It was one short of Wasim Akram's world record of 12 set against Zimbabwe in 1996.
* England made the highest ever first innings score at Newlands.
* Stokes fell four runs short of the highest Test total at Newlands. Stephen Fleming of New Zealand scored 262 against South Africa in 2006.