rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Cricket » Security concerns force Australia to withdraw from u-19 World Cup

Security concerns force Australia to withdraw from u-19 World Cup

January 05, 2016 14:10 IST

Muslim-majority Bangladesh faces what appears to be a growing threat of militant violence

Under 19 trophy

IMAGE: ICC under 19 World Cup trophy. Photograph: ICC/Twitter

Australia have withdrawn from the under-19 World Cup in Bangladesh later this month because of concerns over the ‘safety and security’ of the squad, Cricket Australia said in statement on Tuesday.

Australia postponed a test tour of Bangladesh in October for similar reasons and Cricket Australia (CA) Chief Executive James Sutherland said the situation had not improved.

"Regrettably, the advice from our government suggests that the security threat to Australians travelling to Bangladesh remains as high now as it was when we postponed the test team's tour of that country late last year," Sutherland said in the statement.

"Included in that is reliable information suggesting there is a high threat to Australian interests in Bangladesh and the knowledge that the Australian Government has authorised the dependants of posted diplomatic staff in Bangladesh to return home to Australia.

"In the end, with all of the information and advice we have received, we feel we had no alternative other than to make this difficult decision."

Muslim-majority Bangladesh faces what appears to be a growing threat of militant violence and has seen a string of incidents last year including the shooting of three foreigners, two of whom died.

The International Cricket Council said via Twitter preparations for the Jan. 22 to Feb. 14 tournament were continuing and Ireland had been invited to replace Australia.

"The ICC takes its responsibilities around safety and security of ICC events extremely seriously," ICC Chief Executive David Richardson was quoted as saying.

"ICC are confident that the proposed security arrangements for (the tournament) will adequately address the identified risks."

Bangladesh Cricket Board President Nazmul Hassan told Reuters the withdrawal was ‘unfortunate’.

"We are ensuring highest security," he said. "We don't see any security issues in Bangladesh. You just can't stop games considering one or two incidents. Terror attacks are happening everywhere in the world. But games are taking place."

Sutherland said Cricket Australia had monitored the security situation in Bangladesh closely since pulling out of the test tour and their head of security had travelled to Dhaka last week.

"We have always maintained that the safety and security of Australian teams and officials is our number one priority," he added.

The Australia under-19 squad will still travel to the United Arab Emirates next week to play a tri-series against Pakistan and New Zealand.

ICC invites Ireland to replace Australia

The ICC invited Ireland to replace Australia in the Under-19 cricket World Cup and exuded confidence that the proposed security arrangements for the event in Bangladesh will be adequate.

Richardson said ICC will continue to monitor the situation in Bangladesh.

"Naturally, as part of that planning process, the ICC's own security team, supported by an independent security agency, will continue to monitor closely the situation in Bangladesh, including all travel advisories provided by relevant government agencies," he said.

"Security plans associated with an event of this size and stature are always subject to continual review to ensure that they remain appropriate and fit for purpose, and this event is no different.

"The ICC U19 Cricket World Cup is an extremely important event on the ICC calendar. We remain confident that the ICC, in conjunction with the BCB, will be able to successfully deliver this event in Bangladesh," he added.

AGENCIES