NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News  » Cricket » PCB finally submits Lahore attack report to ICC

PCB finally submits Lahore attack report to ICC

August 17, 2010 13:45 IST

Following an unreasonable delay of nearly 18 months, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has finally submitted the judicial inquiry report concerning the terror attack on the visiting Sri Lankan cricket team in Lahore in March 2009 to the International Cricket Council (ICC).

An ICC spokesman confirmed that the report has been received on August 3 but declined to make any further comments on the issue.

"The report is confidential and the ICC would not like to make any comments on it," he said.

PCB chairman Ijaz Butt told The Dawn that the report has been sent to the ICC after the Punjab government's approval.

"The board has sent the report to the ICC about one month ago after seeking approval of the Punjab government," Butt said.

"As the Punjab government had sent a copy of the judicial inquiry report to the PCB with the instruction to keep it confidential, first we were not in a position to forward the report to the ICC. But soon after the Punjab government allowed us, the PCB dispatched the report to the international body (ICC)," he added.

Butt, however, refused to comment on the reaction from the ICC on the 600-page report, which has been prepared by a Lahore High Court Judge (LHC) judge.

Eight security guards were killed and seven Sri Lankan players were injured in the ghastly attack which took place just outside Lahore's Gaddafi stadium.

The terrible incident not only put an abrupt end to the tour but also saw all international sports activities in Pakistan being suspended.

Judge Shabbar Raza, during the course of his inquiry, interrogated various police and security officials of the Punjab government, besides the PCB Chairman and other board officials.

Justice Shabbar's report pointed out weaknesses in the security arrangements made by the Punjab government and also held several senior police officials responsible for negligence of duty and in failing to provide proper security to the visiting team.

Former ICC President Ehsan Mani has constantly blamed the PCB for dragging its feet on sending the report to the governing body.