You are here: Rediff Home » India » Cricket » Report
Search: The Web

'The bus driver took us to safety'
Related Articles
SL's cricketers airlifted after Lahore attack
Players are out of danger: Sangakkara
It is not about politics, but terrorism
Video: SL team's bus attacked in Pak
Images: Gunmen attack SL team
Get Cricket updates:What's this?
March 03, 2009 11:56 IST
Last Updated: March 03, 2009 19:55 IST

Veteran batsman Sanath Jayasuriya [Images] said the Sri Lankan team escaped with minor injuries after the team bus was attacked by gunmen in Lahore [Images] on its way to the Gaddafi stadium [Images] on Tuesday.

Jayasuriya, who is not a part of the Test team, told CNN-IBN: "The players are shocked at the moment. They have never gone something like this before as a cricket team."

"I spoke to Sangakkara a little while ago. He told me there were a few injuries but everything is under control," he added.

Four Sri Lankan players received minor injuries in the attack -- Kumar Sangakkara [Images], Ajantha Mendis [Images], Thilan Samaraweera [Images] and Tharanga Paranavithana [Images] after armed gunmen attacked the team bus and hurled grenades as they made their way to the stadium to take part in the second Test against Pakistan.

"This is a terrible time and we all in Sri Lanka [Images] are very worried. We never had this problem of players being attacked directly. But fortunately I managed to speak to Sangakkara, who assured me they all are fine," he said.

Sri Lankan team manager Brendon Kuruppu also confirmed that a couple of players received bullet injuries.

"Paranavithana was shot on the chest, but that has been removed. Samaraweera was shot on the leg, but he is also hospitalised," Kuruppu said.

"All the players are inside the dressing room right now. There are a few injuries but they are all fine," he added.

A shaken Kuruppu added that the team would be looking to fly out of the country in the first available flight.

Recalling the horror, the former Sri Lankan wicketkeeper said: "We were on our way from the hotel to the ground. Someone got out of the car and started shooting at our bus when we were 3-4 minutes away from the stadium."

"We all went to the ground otherwise a few more players could have been injured. Luckily the driver took the bus from there and drove to the ground."

   Discuss   |      Share with friends   |      Print   |   Ask a question  Ask a question   |  Get latest news on your desktop  Get latest news on your desktop

© 2009 India Limited. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer | Feedback