|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Fire scare at Pakistan team hotel
March 07, 2007
World Cup cricket squads from Pakistan, South Africa, Canada and Ireland were evacuated from their hotel on Wednesday due to a gas leak, security staff said.
At least three members of staff from the Hilton were taken to hospital but no one from the teams was hurt, said a security source.
Several fire engines and emergency vehicles were seen in vicinity.
The teams from South Africa, Canada and Ireland boarded buses and were whisked away from the site while the Pakistanis opted to stay in the area.
"I have no idea what happened. I had just woken up when the security man knocked on the door and said 'get out of the room'," Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi told reporters.
"But I went back to sleep. Then he knocked again, and said 'get out of the room'. Then I did and went downstairs."
Although there was no sign of any flames or smoke in the area, Afridi added: "I heard there was a fire on the eighth floor."
The Pakistan team had planned a trip to the beach in the afternoon but Afridi was unsure whether this would now go ahead.