Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article
Home > Cricket > The Cup > Report


No information on security threat: BCCI

Onkar Singh in New Delhi | March 02, 2007 14:39 IST
Last Updated: March 02, 2007 14:52 IST


The Board of Control for Cricket in India, on Friday, said they have no information about the secutiry threat to the Indian team at the World Cup, as reported by a national newspaper.

"I have spoken to Board president Sharad Pawarji and he told me that there is no information from any quarter," BCCI spokesman Rajiv Shukla told newsmen in New Delhi outside the Parliament.

The newspaper in its report claimed that the Government of India is planning to send Nationl Security Guards (meant for VIPs) to protect the Indian players.

The BCCI has also checked with the Home ministry and intelligence agencies, but so far there are no inputs on a possible attack on the team. The hosting West Indies Cricket Board has also not been informed about any impending threat.

"Normally a security is the concern of the host country, but in special circumstances, like in the case of Indian team's visit to Pakistan, we did send two officers of the Delhi Police to protect our players. We are concerned about the security of the players and will do whatever is needed to give them protection," Shukla added.


The Cup: The Complete Coverage

Would you like to join the Cricket and Cricket Lovers Discussion Group and discuss your cricket views with other cricket freaks? Click here. Have fun!





Advertisement