Home > Cricket > World Cup 2003 > News > Report|
Mohandas Menon |
March 04, 2003 21:01 IST
South Africa vs Sri Lanka, Durban
- Aravinda deSilva (31 matches) now has the maximum appearances for Sri Lanka in the World Cup. He goes past the tally of 30 matches by Arjuna Ranatunga.
- Marvan Atapattu (124) became third Sri Lankan batsman to score the fourth hundred in the World Cup after Aravinda deSilva (145 and 107 not out - both in 1996) and Sanath Jayasuriya (120 in 2003).
- This century was Atapattu's second against the South Africans. His had made 123 not out at Benoni on 1-12-2002. In fact, other than Atapattu no other Sri Lankans have a three figures score against South Africa.
- Incidentally, the previous highest individual score for Sri Lanka against South Africa in the World Cup was the 68 by Roshan Mahanama at Wellington on 2-3-1992.
- Atapattu now joins West Indian Brian Lara to become the only second batsman in LOIs to make two hundreds on South African soil against the home side.
- Atapattu,with 832 runs in 26 matches,now has made most runs against South Africa. He went past the tally of 760 runs by Sanath Jayasuirya in 33 matches.
- The partnership of 152 runs between Atapattu and Aravinda deSilva was Sri Lanka's best for the fourth wicket in the World Cup betters the previous best of 105 runs between Aravinda and Arjuna Ranatunga against Kenya at Kandy on 6-3-1996.
- The above partnership was also the best for the fourth wicket against South Africa in the World Cup. Australians Ricky Ponting and Steve Waugh had put on 126 at Leeds on 13-6-1999.
- The Atapattu-deSilva partnership of 152 runs was Sri Lanka's all-time best partnership against South Africa for any wicket. The same pair had put on 140 for the third wicket at Benoni on 1-12-2002. For the record, Sri Lanka's previous best against South Africa for the fourth wicket was the 108 between Atapattu and Arjuna Ranatunga at Port Elizabeth on 13-4-1998.
- The above stand was the first three-figure partnership at this venue for the fourth wicket. The previous best was the 92 between the home team's Daryll Cullinan and Jonty Rhodes against India on 13-2-1997.
- The catch of Tillkeratne was Mark Boucher's 200th of his career as a keeper in 143 matches. He becomes the first South African and the only second keeper in LOIs after Australian Adam Gilchrist (225 catches in 152 matches).
- This game was the second to be tied in the World Cup. Australia and South Africa had tied their Birmingham WC encounter on 17-6-1999.
- Incidentally, this was the fourth tied match involving the South African team, while it was the third tied match involving the Sri Lankan team in LOIs.
- The man of the match award was Atapattu's 16th of his career in 186 matches. This was Atapattu's second such award in the World Cup. He had one against Zimbabwe at Worcester on 22-5-1999.
|People Who Read This Also Read|