Home > Cricket > World Cup 2003 > News > Report|
Mohandas Menon |
February 20, 2003 13:51 IST
England vs Namibia, Port Elizabeth
- Sarel Burger became the 14th player to appear for Namibia in limited-over internationals.
- Louis Burger's three catches equals the World Cup record of most catches by a fieldsman in a match. He now shares the record with 12 other players in the World Cup. Incidentally, Burger becomes the first to do so against England in the World Cup. He also becomes the first fieldsman to take three catches at this venue.
- Rudi van Vuuren (5-43) became the fourth bowler from a non-Test playing nation to take a five-wicket haul in LOIs. The others being: UAE's Shaukat Dukanwala (5-29 v Holland at Lahore on 1-3-1996), Kenya's Aasif Karim (5-23 v Bangladesh at Nairobi on 10-10-1997) and Canada's Austin Codrington (5-27 v Bangladesh at Durban on 11-2-2003).
- Meanwhile, Rudi van Vuuren becomes the only third bowler to take a five-plus wicket haul against England in the World Cup. Australian Gary Gilmour (6-14 at Leeds on 18-6-1975) and West Indian Joel Garner (5-38 at Lord's on 23-6-1979) were the others to do so.
- The Namibian bowler's figures are now the best against England in a World Cup match outside England, bettering Zimbabwean Eddo Brandes's figures of 4-21 at Albury (in Australia) on 18-3-1992.
- Rudi van Vuuren's five-wicket haul was the first to be achieved by any bowler at this ground. Interestingly, the previous best figures of 4-32 at this venue was achieved by three bowlers -- South African Brain McMillan (v India on 9-12-1992), Pakistani Waqar Younis (v New Zealand on 13-12-1994) and South African Fanie deVilliers (v England at 21-1-1996).
- Andries Burger's 85 was now the highest individual score by a Namibian batsman in LOIs. Daniel Keulder's 27 against Zimbabwe at Harare on 10-2-2003 was the previous highest.
- The 3rd wicket partnership of 97 runs between Andries Burger and Daniel Keulder was Namibia's best for any wicket in LOIs. The previous best was the 42 run stand for the 10th wicket between Bjorn Kotze and Rudi van Vuuren against Pakistan at Kimberley on 16-2-2003. For the record, Namibia's previous best for the third wicket was the 40-run stand between Stephan Swanepoel and Daniel Keulder against Zimbabwe at Harare on 10-2-2003.
- Andries Burger's 85 was now the highest score made by any batsman from a non-Test playing nation against England. The previous highest was the 71 by Kenya's Steve Tikolo at Canterbury on 18-5-1999.
|People Who Read This Also Read|