Home > Cricket > World Cup 2003 > News > Report|
Mohandas Menon |
February 16, 2003 17:10 IST
Kenya vs Canada, at Cape Town
- Ian Billcliff (71) became the first Canadian batsman to record a fifty in limited-over internationals. The previous highest individual score for Canada was the 45, by Glen Sealy against Pakistan at Leeds 9-6-1979.
- During the above knock, Billcliff became the first Canadian batsman to aggregate 100 career runs in LOIs. He now has 113 runs to his credit in two matches.
- The fourth wicket partnership of 86 runs between Billcliff and Joe Harris was Canada's highest ever for any wicket in LOIs. This was Canada's only second 50-plus partnership after the 54 run stand for the first wicket between Chris Chappell and Glen Sealy against Pakistan at Leeds on 9-6-1979. For the record, Canada's previous best partnership for the fourth wicket was the 22 between the same pair of Billcliff and Harris against Bangladesh at Durban on 11-2-2003.
- The partnership of 24 runs between Ashish Bagai and Sanjay Thuraisingam was Canada's best for the 8th wicket in LOIs eclipsing the previous best of 12 runs between the same pair at Durban against Bangladesh on 11-2-2003.
- The partnership of 11 runs between Austin Codrington and Davis Joseph was the highest for the 10th wicket by any pair against Kenya in LOIs. The pair surpasses the previous highest of seven runs between Indians Nilesh Kulkarni and Venkatesh Prasad at Gwalior on 28-5-1998.
- Canada's 197 was its highest total in LOIs. The team had made 180 against Bangladesh at Durban on three days ago -- on 11-2-2003.
- Thomas Odoyo (4-28) recorded his best bowling figures of his career, while playing in his 53rd match. His previous best was the 3-25 he claimed against Pakistan at Nairobi (at Aga Khan ground) on 2-10-1996.
- Incidentally, Odoyo's figures were the third best by a Kenyan bowler in LOIs. Only left-arm spinner Aasif Karim (5-23 v Bangladesh at Nairobi, Gymkhana ground on 10-10-1997) and medium pacer Martin Suji (4-24 v Bangladesh at Nairobi, Aga Khan ground on 15-10-1997) have better bowling figures than Odoyo for Kenya.
- Odoyo (4-28 and 27 not out) became the first Kenyan all-rounder to capture 4 wickets and score over 25 runs in the same LOI match.
- Kenya's Ravindu Shah (61) now has the distinction of registering the highest individual score against Canada in LOIs. The only other 50-plus score against the Canadians was made by Pakistani Sadiq Mohammad when he scored an unbeaten 57 at Leeds on 9-6-1979.
- Since defeating India at Port Elizabeth by 70 runs on 17-10-2001, this was Kenya's first win in 13 matches. During this period the team has lost 11 matches!
- Overall this was Kenya's ninth win in 54 LOI matches.
- The man of the match award was Thomas Odoyo's only second of his career in 53 matches. His only other award came for his all-rounder performance of 32 runs and bowling figures of 3-25 against Pakistan at Aga Khan ground at Nairobi on 2-10-1996. This incidentally was Kenya's fourth such award in the WC. Maurice Odumbe (twice in 1996 and 1999) and Steve Tikolo (in 1999) were the others to do so.
|People Who Read This Also Read|