Home > Cricket > World Cup 2003 > News > Report|
Mohandas Menon |
February 13, 2003 15:57 IST
India vs Netherlands, at Paarl
- Jeroen Smits became the 23rd player to represent Holland in LOIs. He becomes the third player to kee wickets for Holland.
- Sachin Tendulkar, when on 24, became the highest run-getter in the World Cup by obliterating the previous record of 1083 runs, held by Pakistani Javed Miandad. Tendulkar, who now has 1111 runs, was appearing in his 23rd World Cup match, while Miandad made his runs in 33 matches.
- Rahul Dravid, meanwhile, become the highest run scorer by an Indian keeper in LOIs. Playing in his 38th match as a keeper, Dravid now aggregates 1257 runs. He eclipsed the previous record held by Nayan Mongia, who had 1243 runs in 139 matches.
- This was the first occasion in eight LOI matches, the Dutch team was able to dismiss an opponent. The nearest they have come in doing so was in their first ever match at Baroda in the 1996 edition of the World Cup against New Zealand, when they claimed eight wickets. However, the Kiwis managed to register a mammoth total of 307 runs!
- Tim de Leede's 4-35 was the best bowling performance by a Dutch bowler in LOIs. He betters the previous best performance of 3-48 by Steve Lubbers against New Zealand at Baroda on 17-2-1996.
- Javagal Srinath (4-30) claimed his 300th wicket of his career in 219 matches, when to took the wicket of Dutch opener Jan Kloppenburg. He becomes the fifth bowler after Pakistanis Wasim Akram (493), Waqar Younis (411), Sri Lankan Muttiah Muralitharan (306) and fellow-Indian Anil Kumble (307). He now has 303 wickets.
- While achieving the above landmark, Srinath also became India's highest wicket-taker in the World Cup. He claimed his 29th wicket in 24 matches, which took him past the tally of 28 wickets held by Kapil Dev in 26 matches. He now has 32 wickets in the World Cup.
- Srinath's fourth wicket of the match was his 200th on foreign soil in 139 matches. He now becomes the first Indian and the sixth bowler in LOI history to achieve this feat. Pakistani Wasim Akram has the most such wickets -- 421 in 284 matches!
- The 28-run partnership between Daan van Bunge and Edgar Schiferli equals Holland's best for the 8th wicket in LOIs. Ronald Lefebvre and Reinout Scholte, against Pakistan at Colombo (SSC) on 21-9-2002, were involved in 28 runs stand for the 8th wicket.
- The 49-run partnership between Daan van Bunge and Jeroen Smit betters Holland's best for the 9th wicket in LOIs. Robert van Oosterom & Steven Lubbers, against South Africa at Rawalpindi on 5-3-1996, had a brief record stand of an unbeaten five runs!
- Daan van Bunge (62) became the fourth Dutchman to score a fifty in LOIs, all of which have come in the World Cup.
- Anil Kumble (4-32) recorded his best bowling figures in a World Cup match in his 15th game. His previous best of 3-28 came against Kenya at Cuttack on 18-2-1996, which incidentally was Kumble's World Cup debut match.
- Kumble's figures were the second best by an Indian bowler in South Africa after Ajit Agarkar's 4-27 against Kenya at Bloemfontein on 12-10-2001. Later in the match, Srinath (4-30) eclipsed Kumble.
- Incidentally, the last time Kumble claimed a four-wicket haul (4-40) was against Pakistan at Adelaide on 25-1-2000. Kumble was then playing in his 189th match and the Paarl match was his 239th. This means Kumble had gone without a four-wicket haul in 49 matches.
- This was the fifth time that two Indian bowlers claimed four or more wickets in the same match. This was also the second occasion for the Indians to do so in a World Cup match.
- Holland's total of 136 was the lowest for Boland Park, displacing Sri Lanka's 139 against Pakistan on 9-4-1998.
- Tim de Leede becomes the first Dutch player to receive a man of the match award in LOIs.
|People Who Read This Also Read|