Home > Sports > Football > Report
Mohandas Menon |
February 13, 2003 15:54 IST
South Africa vs Kenya, at Potchefstroom
- Aasif Karim was making a comeback to the side after missing 22 matches for his side. He last appeared in a LOI match in the last World Cup -- against Sri Lanka at Southampton on 30-5-1999.
- Jonty Rhodes was appearing in his 24th World Cup match, which is the most by a South African player. Hansie Cronje and Allan Donald have appeared in 23 World Cup matches each.
- Mark Boucher's two catches takes his tally to 15 dismissals (includes all catches) which equals the tally of Dave Richardson (14 cts+1st) - the most by a South African keeper in the World Cup.
- The 19-run partnership between Thomas Odoyo and Peter Ongondo was the best for the 9th wicket at this ground. The previous best was the paltry unbeaten two runs by the home team against Bangladesh on 3-10-2002.
- The above partnership was also Kenya's best against South Africa for the 9th wicket beating the 13 run stand between Hitesh Modi and Brijal Patel at Cape Town on 22-10-2001.
- Lance Klusener's 4-16 was the best bowling performance at this ground bettering teammate Makhaya Ntini's 4-33 against Australia on 27-3-2002.
- Incidentally, on the last occasion the two teams played in the World Cup, Klusener had claimed 5-21 (in 8.3 overs) at Amsterdam on 26-5-1999.
- The unbeaten partnership of 142 runs between Herschelle Gibbs and Gary Kirsten was the best for any wicket at this ground bettering the 129 run stand put on between Boeta Dippenaar and Nicky Boje for the 2nd wicket against the Kiwis on 20-10-2000. The pair also obliterated the previous best for the 1st wicket at this ground, which was the 63-run stand between Gibbs and Graeme Smith against Bangladesh on 3-10-2002.
- South Africa's 10-wicket win was the fourth such victory achieved in the World Cup by two other teams. India had beaten East Africa at Leeds in 1975; while West Indies -- on two occasions -- achieved this margin of victory while defeating Zimbabwe (at Birmingham in 1983) and Pakistan (at Melbourne in 1992).
- This was South Africa's third victory by this margin in LOIs. The team had won by a similar margin against India at Sharjah on 22-3-2000 and Bangladesh at Benoni on 6-10-2002.
- For Kenya, this was its second defeat by 10 wickets in LOIs. The team had lost to India by this margin at Bloemfontein on 12-10-2001.
- Lance Klusener received his 19th man of the match award of his career in 151 matches. He now shares the South African record for the most MOM awards with fellow teammate Jacques Kallis (in 170 matches).
- The award was also Klusener's fifth in the World Cup in just 11 matches. He joins West Indian Viv Richards, England's Graham Gooch & India's Sachin Tendulkar to become the players with maximum MOM awards in the WC.