Home > Cricket > World Cup 2003 > Reuters > Report
England match in Zimbabwe: ICC reply Tuesday
Ashish Magotra in Cape Town |
February 11, 2003 02:00 IST
A long battle just got extended some more. The International Cricket Council will reply to the England and Wales Cricket Board's request to relocate its match against Zimbabwe only at 1000 South African time on Tuesday.
The ICC will re-examine England's request for the game to be moved to South Africa.
The England team was on the tenterhooks the entire day and looked subdued even when they stepped out to practice. Tension was writ large on their faces.
News agencies earlier reported that the ECB had informed the ICC that the team would not travel to Harare, but the announcement proved to be premature.
It is hard, however, to see England actually making the trip, especially after the threatening letter that they received on February 9.
At a press conference on Monday evening, England skipper Nasser Hussain said, "The England players were asked to take a decision on the matter. It was a heated, emotional discussion, with a few players in tears. The atmosphere was truly tense.
"It was at this point that David Morgan, chairman of the ECB, walked in and told us about the letter that had been received."
The decision in the matter now rests with the ECB and the ICC, Hussain said.
Meanwhile, ECB chief executive Tim Lamb accused the ICC of releasing confidential correspondence.
"The ECB believes it is bound by a duty of confidentiality in relation to our current discussions and consultations with ICC and the United Cricket Board of South Africa," he said.
|© Copyright 2003 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.|