rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Sports » Sports Shorts: Honda replaces Toro Rosso engine parts for Bahrain GP

Sports Shorts: Honda replaces Toro Rosso engine parts for Bahrain GP

April 04, 2018 21:47 IST

A summary of sports events and sports persons, who made news on Wednesday

Toro Rosso's Brendon Hartley in action during Australian F1 Grand Prix qualifying

IMAGE: Toro Rosso's Brendon Hartley in action during Australian F1 Grand Prix qualifying. Photograph: Brandon Malone/Reuters

Toro Rosso's engine supplier Honda has replaced power unit components in the cars of Pierre Gasly and Brendon Hartley after problems in the first race of the Formula One season.

The move by the Japanese manufacturer, whose previous partnership with McLaren ended at the end of 2017 after three troubled years, means grid penalties look inevitable this season.

Teams are limited to three engines per driver, and just two of some components, for the entire 21-race campaign.

Honda said ahead of the weekend's Bahrain Grand Prix that French driver Gasly would have a new engine after it was damaged in Australia by problems with the turbocharger and motor generator unit-heat (MGU-H).

"The MGU-H and turbo have both been modified, in light of what we learned in the first race," said Honda technical director Toyoharu Tanabe.

"Given the problems we encountered in Melbourne, we have decided, as a precautionary measure, to also change the MGU-H and turbocharger on Brendon’s car, fitting the new modified components."

Tanaba said replacing components so early in the campaign was "obviously a difficult decision" but Honda believed it was the right way forward.

Toro Rosso had looked quick and reliable in pre-season testing in Spain, raising hopes that the Honda engine would be more competitive in their new start with the Red Bull-owned Italian team.

Honda's performance is also being closely monitored by former world champions Red Bull racing, who have yet to decide what engines to use after 2018 and are currently using Renault units with Tag Heuer branding.

Former England soccer captain Wilkins dies age 61

Former England captain Ray Wilkins died on Wednesday in a London hospital following a heart attack, the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) said.

Wilkins suffered a cardiac arrest on Saturday and was admitted to St George'sHospital, where he was put in an induced coma.

"It is with great sadness and heavy hearts that we have learnt that former England midfielder Ray Wilkins has passed away, aged 61," the PFA said in a statement on Twitter.

"The thoughts and condolences of everyone at the PFA are with his family and friends."

Wilkins won 84 caps for England between 1976 and 1986.

He played more than 150 times for each of Chelsea, Manchester United and Queen's Park Rangers, with shorter spells abroad for AC Milan and Paris St Germain.

In a 20-year coaching career he was manager of QPR, Fulham and the Jordan national team, and assistant manager in two spells at Chelsea.

Miguel Angel Nadal part of Barca legends tie vs Juve legends in Navi Mumbai

The legends of famous European football clubs, FC Barcelona and Juventus, are set to step on the field and entertain the crowd at the D Y Patil Stadium in Navi Mumbai on April 27.

Some of the legends of Juventus who are set to play in the match at the stadium that had hosted games in last year's FIFA U17 World Cup are David Trezeguet, Edgar Davids, Paulo Montero, Ciro Ferrara, Fabrizio Ravanelli and Gianluca Zambrota.

Andoni Golcoetxea, Frederik Dehu, Miguel Angel Nadal, Frank de Boer, Juan Carlos Rodriguez and Jose Edmilson are some of the Barcelona legends who are in the first list of players released at a media conference in Navi Mumbai on Wednesday.

Trezeguet and Zambrotta were former World Cup winners with France (1998) and Italy (2006) respectively. Zambrotta had also played in the ISL for Delhi Dynamos in 2016.

AGENCIES