rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Sports » Perez, Hulkenberg staying at Force India: Mallya

Perez, Hulkenberg staying at Force India: Mallya

July 08, 2016 20:57 IST

IMAGE: Force India Formula One drivers, Nico Hulkenberg of Germany, left, and Sergio Perez of Mexico,right, and Force India team principal Vijay Mallya. Photograph: Edgard Garrido/Reuters.

Mexican Sergio Perez and Germany's Nico Hulkenberg are staying at Force India next season, the Formula One team's co-owner Vijay Mallya told Reuters.

"I can confirm that both the drivers are signed up for 2017," Mallya said at the British Grand Prix.

"They are a fine pair, both absolutely top class. I've never believed in 'pay drivers' where talent or ability is compromised," he added.

"I always try to hire the best drivers we can afford. I am very happy with both Checo and Nico."

Perez has been on the podium twice this season, in Monaco and Azerbaijan, while Hulkenberg qualified on the front row in Austria last weekend.

Force India, who have Mercedes engines, are currently fifth in the championship.

Perez had been linked in media speculation to Ferrari but that possibility closed on Friday when the Italian team announced Finland's 2007 world champion Kimi Raikkonen was staying for another season.

Source:
© Copyright 2018 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.