rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Sports » Lennox Lewis planning comeback - report

Lennox Lewis planning comeback - report

February 24, 2007 15:37 IST
Former world heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis is considering making a comeback at the age of 41, according to a newspaper report.

"Lennox has been discussing the prospect of a one-off, world title rematch with Vitali Klitschko," American promoter Bob Arum told the Daily Mail on Saturday.

"I am told Lennox is back in the gym. This is an enormous fight in the making."

Lewis retired three years ago. His last fight was a win over Klitschko in June 2003 when the Ukrainian was stopped after six rounds because of severe cuts.

The Briton became only the third man after Americans Gene Tunney and Rocky Marciano to retire while still world champion.

Klitschko announced last month that he was planning his own comeback.

"I am returning to get my WBC championship back," said the Ukrainian in a statement.

"In November 2005, due to a serious knee injury, I retired without having lost the WBC belt in the ring."

Klitschko's brother Vladimir is scheduled to defend his IBF and IBO heavyweight titles against American Ray Austin in Germany on March 10.

Source:
© Copyright 2014 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.