News of all that's transpired on and off the football field
Barcelona have swooped to sign Brazilian forward Malcom on a five-year deal from Girondins Bordeaux for an initial 41 million euros ($47.89 million) in a surprise move after AS Roma had struck a deal with the French club.
The 21-year-old was set to join the Italians this week after Roma on Monday said they had reached agreement with Bordeaux for the player but media reports in Spain and Italy said Barca’s 11th hour offer had changed Malcom's mind.
He did not take a flight scheduled for Rome on Monday evening, having been due for a medical in the Italian capital.
Media reports said Malcom's change of destination came after Barca's move for fellow Brazilian attacker Willian broke down when they were unable to agree a transfer fee with Chelsea, leading them to turn to Bordeaux’s fleet-footed wide forward.
“The Brazilian will undergo a medial on Wednesday morning and then directly join the FC Barcelona US Tour,” read a statement from the Spanish champions, whose deal for the player includes an extra one million euros in variables.
Malcom joined Bordeaux from Brazilian side Corinthians in January 2016 and scored 23 goals in 96 games for the club.
Chhetri extends contract, to stay in Bengaluru FC until 2021
Bengaluru FC skipper Sunil Chhetri put pen to paper on a fresh one-year deal that will see him stay at the club until the end of the 2020-21 season, the Blues announced today.
The deal adds to the AIFF Player of the Year's current contract at the JSW Group-owned side.
The 33-year old Chhetri had earlier signed a three-year deal with the Blues ahead of their move to the Indian Super League last season. Chhetri, who is the longest serving player at the club, spoke of his delight at the extension.
"I have always said that this club and these fans have been the most fantastic experience of my life and signing a new deal here is only a way of giving back to a club that has given so much to me. I've made some fantastic memories here and I believe there are many more to make," he said.
Having won the club's Top Scorer of the Year award for five consecutive seasons, Chhetri is Bengaluru's highest goal scorer, with 71 strikes in 144 appearances.
"It's special to have Sunil Chhetri play for us. He is, by far, the fittest player around and he has proven so many times that age is just a number. We are excited to have Sunil the player, more excited to have Sunil the leader and most excited to have Sunil the enigma," said Parth Jindal, CEO of Bengaluru FC.
"His hunger, desire and passion is immense and he is the torchbearer of Indian football. For us, the club was built around Sunil and continues to do so. We hope he stays for as long as possible at BFC in the capacity of a player and beyond."
Bengaluru FC are currently in pre-season training at their residential facilities in Bellary, following which they will fly out to Spain for a pre-season camp.
The Blues' first competitive match of the season kicks off in less than a month, when they take on Turkmenistan's Altyn Asyr FK in a two-legged Inter-Zone semifinal of the AFC Cup, on August 22 and 29.
Wolves sign Portugal midfielder Moutinho from Monaco
Wolverhampton Wanderers have signed experienced Portugal midfielder Joao Moutinho from AS Monaco on a two-year deal, the Premier League club said on Tuesday.
British media reported that Wolves paid 5 million pounds ($6.57 million) for the 31-year-old, who became the third new arrival at Molineux in the close season.
Moutinho, the third most-capped player in his country's history with 113 international appearances, joins a number of Portuguese players already at Wolves, including Diogo Jota, Ruben Neves, and new goalkeeper Rui Patricio.
The midfielder was part of Portugal's Euro 2016 triumph and also made three appearances at the World Cup in Russia.
Moutinho started his career at Sporting Lisbon before joining Porto in 2010, winning the top division title in 2011, 2012 and 2013.
He arrived at Monaco in 2013 and went on to play over 200 games for the French club, helping them win the Ligue 1 crown in 2017.
Santos sign Uruguay midfielder Carlos Sanchez
Santos have signed Uruguay international Carlos Sanchez on a three-year deal, the Brazilian club said on Tuesday.
The 33-year-old midfielder spent the last two years with Mexican club Monterrey and played in three of Uruguay's five World Cup games in Russia.
He joins Costa Rica's Bryan Ruiz as Santos's second big international signing since the World Cup.
Fulham sign Spanish goalkeeper Fabri from Besiktas
Fulham have signed Spanish goalkeeeper Fabricio Agosto Ramirez 'Fabri' from Turkish side Besiktas on a three-year contract, the newly-promoted Premier League club said on Tuesday.
British media reported Fulham paid around 5 million pounds ($6.57 million) for the 30-year-old, who kept 12 clean sheets in 34 league outings for Besiktas last season.
The London club also hold a option to extend the deal by a further 12 months.
"I'm very happy to have the opportunity to be in the Premier League with Fulham," Fabri told the club website. "Everything is very positive for me and I want to take the opportunity to make the most of this goal of being in the Premier League."Fabri is reunited with Fulham's goalkeeping coach Jose Sambade Carreira, who he worked with at Deportivo la Coruna.
Slavisa Jokanovic's Fulham will kick off their league campaign at home against Crystal Palace on Aug. 11.