NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News  » Sports » Ratiwatana twins survive hotel fire

Ratiwatana twins survive hotel fire

Last updated on: May 14, 2008 17:51 IST

Thailand's twin ATP doubles stars Sonchat and Sanchai Ratiwatana navigated a smoke-filled corridor with wet towels wrapped around their faces to avoid a dangerous hotel fire Monday in Bordeaux, France, where they are competing in an ATP Challenger event.

The twins also helped the wife and son of Argentine doubles specialist Lucas Arnold Ker to escape the fire, which broke out on the third floor of the tournament hotel, the Quality Suites. South Africa's Rik De Voest also fled after crawling on his hands a knees.

Smoke filled the Ratiwatanas' third-floor room around 9 a.m., forcing them to evacuate. ''I told my brother to grab his passport and computer and get out," Sanchai said.

But the brothers emerged to a pitch-black corridor with no lighting and thick black smoke, which impeded their progress.

Minutes before making it to safety, the Ratiwatanas had become disoriented and had walked away from the safety of a stairwell into a dead end at the other end of the corridor, where they began to have trouble breathing.

With thick smoke making navigation almost impossible, the brothers retraced their steps back towards the stairwell and towards the room of Arnold Ker, who was downstairs eating breakfast unaware that his wife, Yannina, and their five-year-old son Nacho, were in danger.

Yannina opened the door when she heard the Ratiwatanas' voices and the group began weighing their options. "Before I opened the door I was thinking of jumping out the window," Yannina said. "But the twins said we can't do that."

"The Ratiwatanas put towels in water and gave one to me and one to my son to put over our nose and mouth. There was no map of the emergency exit but we knew that we couldn't stay there. We decided to try to find the stairs but when we opened the door the smoke was terrible.

"I thought the whole hotel was on fire, when in fact it was only the room right in front of ours. We started walking up the corridor but there was no exit sign. We really couldn't see anything until the fireman opened the door to the stairs and we could see some light."

The twins shrugged off the label as heroes, saying that Yannina had helped them as much as they had helped her and Nacho. "We were starting to gag on the smoke when she opened her door, which allowed us to get a fresh breath. I don't know how much further we could have made it," Sonchat said.

"It was a scary situation. There were no escape routes posted on the door, electrical wires were dangling from the ceiling, there was no emergency lighting in the hallway and we could barely see anything because of the smoke."

De Voest, whose room was less than two meters from the blazing room of Argentine player Eduardo Schwank, said his escape took little more than 30 seconds, but it was the longest 30 seconds of his life.

"The phone rang and reception said the fire alarm was going off-- I couldn't hear it-- and that I should leave the building. I got my bag with my passport just in case.

"Then I smelled smoke and started to hurry. I pulled my room key out as I opened the door, which shut off all the power to my room, and all of a sudden it was pitch black and I was surrounded by a mass of smoke. I couldn't see my hand in front of my face.

"So I did what I've seen people do in the movies-- I dropped to the ground and crawled out on my hands and knees.