|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
FIFA to take no action on Real Madrid
June 17, 2008 10:54 IST
World soccer's governing body FIFA said on Monday it would take no action against Real Madrid [Images] following Manchester United's [Images] complaint that the Spanish club had sought to tempt Cristiano Ronaldo [Images] from Old Trafford.
United formally complained to FIFA last week over a series of public statements made by Real apparently expressing interest in the Portuguese international.
"From the documentation received, no breach of contract appears to have occurred yet," FIFA said in a statement.
"Therefore, in accordance with the applicable practice, no kind of formal procedure has been opened by FIFA regarding this matter."
FIFA said it had informed the Spanish Football Federation of Manchester United's complaint and asked the Federation to remind Real Madrid about "the potential legal consequences of a breach of contract without just cause... and of a possible inducement to such a breach of contract."
Real Madrid have repeatedly denied any wrongdoing.