|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Hamilton on pole for US Grand Prix
June 17, 2007 01:14 IST
The British rookie, who celebrated his first Formula One pole in Canada [Images] last weekend, pipped double world champion Alonso in final qualifying on another sizzling hot day at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Sunday's race will be the third in a row with an all-McLaren front row. Championship leader Hamilton, the winner in Montreal, leads Alonso by eight points in the championship after six races.
After struggling in the last two races, Ferrari [Images] returned to form by sweeping the second row with Brazil's [Images] Felipe Massa [Images] clocking the third fastest effort followed by Finland's Kimi Raikkonen [Images].
German teenager Sebastian Vettel, who will make his Formula One race debut on Sunday in place of Robert Kubica after the Pole failed a fitness test following his big crash in Canada, will start a superb seventh for BMW Sauber.
Provisional starting grid for the US Grand Prix:
1. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) McLaren
2. Fernando Alonso (Spain) McLaren
3. Felipe Massa (Brazil) Ferrari
4. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) Ferrari
5. Nick Heidfeld (Germany [Images]) BMW Sauber
6. Heikki Kovalainen (Finland) Renault
7. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) BMW Sauber
8. Jarno Trulli (Italy [Images]) Toyota
9. Mark Webber (Australia) RedBull - Renault
10. Giancarlo Fisichella (Italy) Renault
11. David Coulthard (Britain) RedBull - Renault
12. Ralf Schumacher (Germany) Toyota
13. Jenson Button [Images] (Britain) Honda
14. Nico Rosberg (Germany) Williams - Toyota
15. Rubens Barrichello (Brazil) Honda
16. Anthony Davidson (Britain) Super Aguri - Honda
17. Alexander Wurz (Austria) Williams - Toyota
18. Takuma Sato (Japan [Images]) Super Aguri - Honda
19. Vitantonio Liuzzi (Italy) Toro Rosso - Ferrari
20. Scott Speed (U.S.) Toro Rosso - Ferrari
21. Adrian Sutil (Germany) Spyker - Ferrari
22. Christijan Albers (Netherlands) Spyker - Ferrari
Formula One: The Complete Coverage