|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Nuerburgring extends F1 contract
February 03, 2004 19:38 IST
The German Nuerburgring circuit will hold Formula One races until 2009.
Track promoters and regional authorities said on Tuesday their contract with Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone had been extended by five years.
Nuerburgring has been the venue of the European Grand Prix for the last five years. It is one of two Formula One races staged every year in Germany. The other is the German Grand Prix at Hockenheim, which has a contract until 2008.
International Automobile Federation (FIA) president Max Mosley said on Monday that he would like the Formula One calendar to shrink back to 16 races from this year's 18.
Mosley said some European races, including traditional ones, could face the axe and said it would be difficult in the future to have two races in one country.
Italy also has two races, at Monza and Imola, but Ecclestone said at the weekend that 2004 would be Imola's last appearance on the calendar.