|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Junior's death: Second autopsy ordered
December 11, 2004 15:12 IST
A second post mortem will be carried out on Dempo's Brazilian striker Cristiano de Lima Junior in an attempt to end a row over the cause of his death last week while playing in India, his club coach said on Saturday.
"There were some hiccups but we are now trying to get the autopsy done today," Dempo coach Arman Colaco said.
But his family demanded a second post mortem as he fell unconscious seconds after he was struck in the face by a rival Mohun Bagan goalkeeper in the Federation Cup final in Bangalore last Sunday.
Junior, 24, collapsed and died moments after scoring his second goal in Dempo's victory over the Kolkata club.
Dempo officials have disputed the autopsy report, which said there were no signs of injury, external or internal, in Junior's body other than a cut lip when he bit into them.
The All India Football Federation (AIFF) has suspended Mohun Bagan goalkeeper Subrata Pal for his foul pending a disciplinary hearing.
The AIFF also said match referee S M Balu will not officiate further for his failure to penalise Pal and shoddy handling of the incidents.