rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » News » Obama's flip-flop: 9/11 accused to face Gitmo trial

Obama's flip-flop: 9/11 accused to face Gitmo trial

Last updated on: April 5, 2011 12:33 IST

Obama's flip-flop: 9/11 accused face Gitmo trial

     Next

Next
In a volte-face, the Barack Obama administration on Tuesday said that the alleged 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Muhammad and his four co-conspirators would now be tried in a military country instead of a civilian court.

"I am referring the cases of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, Whalid Mohammed bin Attash, Ramzi bin al-Shibh, Ali Abdul Aziz Ali, and Mustafa Ahmed al-Hawsawi to the Department of Defence to proceed in military commissions," US Attorney General Eric Holder said at a news conference.

This is a complete reversal of his November 2009 announcement that Sheikh Muhammad and four other individuals would stand trial in federal court for their roles in the terrorist attacks on the US on September 11, 2001.

Click on NEXT to read what prompted Obama to reverse his decision ...


Image: 9/11 accused Khalid Sheikh Mohammed

     Next

Congressmen didn't want Gitmo detainees in the US

Prev     Next
Prev

Next
"I stand by that decision today," Holder said, but quickly added that he has reversed his previous decision because of the opposition from Congressmen who intervened and imposed restrictions blocking the administration from bringing any Guantanamo detainees to trial in the US.

"Sadly, this case has been marked by needless controversy since beginning. Despite all arguments and debate it has engendered, the prosecution of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and his co-conspirators should never have been about settling ideological arguments or scoring political points," he said.

Known as "KSM," Sheikh Mohammed is the self-proclaimed architect of the 9/11 attacks and a host of other plots.


Image: US Attorney General Eric Holder

Prev     Next

'A commonsense decision that is long overdue'

Prev     Next
Prev

Next
Sheikh Mohammed was arrested in 2003 in Rawalpindi in Pakistan and handed over to American agents who held him in secret prisons for over three years before sending him to Guantanamo in September 2006.

The announcement was welcomed by Republican lawmakers.

Senator Saxby Chambliss, vice chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence and a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said that had Sheikh Muhammad's trial, which was underway in 2009, not been halted, that trial may now have been finished.

"This is a commonsense decision that is long overdue, and one that will ultimately provide some closure for the families of the victims of 9/11," the Senator said.


Image: Obama had signed an order, promising that Guantanamo Bay facility will be shut. However, it has not happened till date

Prev     Next

'Bringing KSM to US would have put American lives at risk'

Prev     More
Prev

More
"Bringing Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and his co-conspirators here for civilian trials would have put American lives at risk, demonstrating little had been learned from that horrific day nearly 10 years ago. The attacks of September 11 were an act of war, and the Administration needs to unconditionally abandon its irresponsible, pre-9/11 approach to terror," said Senator John Cornyn, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

However, Senator Patrick Leahy, Chairman of Senate Judiciary Committee, expressed disappointment over the administration's decision.

"I believe that our justice system, which is the envy of the world, is more than capable of trying high-profile terrorism and national security cases. Federal courts have convicted hundreds of terrorists. The record in military commissions pales in comparison, with only a handful of convictions, and the ground rules still in flux," he said.


Image: US President Barack Obama

Prev     More