Janata Party President Subramanian Swamy has sought permission from the Central Bureau of Investigation Special Court dealing with 2G scandal cases to file a petition seeking to include Union Home Minister P Chidambaram as a co-accused in the Aircel-Maxis case.
Swamy said that Justice O P Saini has told him that no specific permission is necessary and the complaint can be filed anytime. Swamy's argument is that former telecom minister Dayanidhi Maran was not the only one responsible for Aircel-Maxis scam and that Chidambaram has actively participated in the scam.
Swamy had earlier filed a petition seeking to include Chidambaram as a co-accused with former telecom minister A Raja in the main 2G case. That plea was rejected by the CBI Special Court saying there was no criminal intent behind the Chidambaram's actions and he was not part of the criminal conspiracy to dole out 2G spectrum at throwaway prices.
Swamy's appeal against the CBI Special Court order is pending at the Supreme Court which has reserved its order. Therefore, Swamy plans to pursue his 2G applications at the CBI Special Court after August 25 by which time the Supreme Court order is expected.
Swamy says it is necessary to establish criminal intent only in the case of offences that are charged under Criminal Procedure Code and that is not necessary in the case of Prevention of Corruption Act.
Justice Saini has deferred hearing in Swamy's applications till August 25 and Swamy is planning to proceed further after the Supreme Court delivers its judgment.