City Police Commissioner B G Jyothiprakash Mirji on Sunday said the Central Crime Branch wing of the city police arrested 22-year-old Mohammed Akram on Saturday night near Majestic area of the city while he was trying to flee from Bengaluru.
"One foreign-made 7.65 mm pistol along with 16 cartridges and other incriminating articles have been recovered from his possession," Mirji told reporters.
During preliminary inquiry it was learnt that he hails from Maharashtra's Nanded district. He had been to Saudi Arabia for a year and returned to India, he said. "It is also learnt that he was taking shelter in Bengaluru for the past several days and along with other arrested accused, he was hatching a conspiracy to execute target killings in the city and elsewhere," he said.
However, after the arrest of the other accused, he had gone into hiding and was trying to escape from the city when the police apprehended him.
The team constituted to investigate this "terrorist case" registered in Basaweshwaranagar police station in Bengaluru is continuing with thorough investigation at an undisclosed place and the investigation is in progress, police officials said.
With this, the number of arrested in connection with the case has gone up to 13.
Obedulla-Ur-Rehman, 21, was arrested in Hyderbad on Friday on the basis of information given by the 11 terror suspects taken into custody in Hubli and Bangalore earlier last week.
Obedulla-Ur-Rehman along with others had conspired to kill two corporators and one prominent leader of a Hindu organisation of Hyderabad, the police said on Saturday.
The city police on August 29 arrested the 11 persons -- six from Bengaluru and five from Hubli -- with alleged links to Lashkar-e-Taiba and HuJI and claimed to have foiled their plan to target MPs, legislators and media persons besides leader of a Hindu outfit.
The 11 arrested included a journalist, a doctor and a junior research fellow with the Defence Research and Development Organisation.