rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » News » NIA lapse ensures bail for Malegaon blasts accused

NIA lapse ensures bail for Malegaon blasts accused

June 05, 2012 15:34 IST

The failure on the part of the National Investigating Agency to file a chargesheet within the stipulated 90 days ensured that an accused in the 2008 Malegaon blasts case got bail recently.

This is the second goof-up in a week by a central probe agency – last week, the Central Bureau of Investigation had failed to file a chargesheet in the Adarsh society scam within the recommended period, enabling the seven accused to get bail.

After the NIA failed to file a chargesheet within the stipulated 90 days, Special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crimes court judge YD Shinde has granted bail to Lokesh Sharma, accused in the case.

The court, while granting bail, ordered Sharma to execute a personal bond of Rs 25,000. After his arrest in connection with the Malegaon 2008 case, he was produced first before the court on February 27, 2012.

Sharma was first named by the NIA in the 2007 Samjhauta train blasts case. He is said to have been closely associated with Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh 'pracharak' Sunil Joshi and in their remand application the NIA had stated that Sharma had planted the bomb on the train.

During is investigation, the NIA is said to have found links between him and the other accused in the Ajmer, Malegaon and Mecca Masjid blasts.

According to NIA officials, Sharma, a resident of Indore, Madhya Pradesh, was also closely associated with terror masterminds Ramji Kalsangra and Sandeep Dange. However, the duo is still absconding.

Vicky Nanjappa in Bengaluru