rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » News » Maharashtra secretariat fire was an accident: Police

Maharashtra secretariat fire was an accident: Police

January 28, 2013 22:21 IST

The fire, which gutted the top three floors of the Maharashtra secretariat on June 21 last year, was due to a short circuit and not sabotage, according to the police.

This is stated in the investigation report submitted to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan by Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Himanshu Roy, sources said on Monday.

According to the report, the blaze was caused due to the short circuit in the switch board of the IT department's office in the secretariat and there was no foul play.

Chavan had ordered the inquiry by the Crime Branch after the Opposition raised a hue and cry, suspecting foul play and sabotage in the fire, which allegedly destroyed evidence and important files pertaining to various scams.

 

© Copyright 2014 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.