The National Commission for Minorities on Thursday sent its report on the Karnataka violence to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, demanding stringent action, including a ban, against the organisations responsible for it.
The report of the two-member team, which had last week visited Bangalore and other districts where places of worship were subjected to mob attacks starting from August 22, was considered by the full commission at its meeting in New Delhi on Thursday, sources in the commission told UNI.
The commission, in its report, has demanded that the state should take timely action on intelligence reports and keep a close watch on bodies which preach communal violence and disturb peace.
It said there should be speedy prosecution of the culprits, and if needed, ban should also be considered.
The report stressed upon the need of the state government to strengthen its intelligence network and carefully study the inputs provided by them.
The commission has demanded that financial assistance should be provided to the affected community to restore and rebuilt the places of worship which were damaged.
The NCM team consisting of chairman Mohammad Shafi Qureshi and member Harcharan Josh which had visited the state had been told by authorities that from August 22 to September 18, 21 places of worship had been attacked.
The team during its stay in the state had held meetings to listen to grievances of the victims of police atrocities.
The NCM had taken strong note of the complaints of police atrocities committed against women and children in Mangalore while dealing with protestors against the attacks on their places of worship.