Admission to MTech/MCA/MBA/PhD programmes 2004-2005
Applications are invited for admission to the following postgraduate and research programmes (MTech/MBA/MCA/PhD) part time/full time for the academic year 2004-05.
*New programmes likely to be started on a self-financing basis from 2004-05.
1. Civil Engineering
Transportation systems engineering*
2. Applied Mechanics and Hydraulics
Hydraulics and water resources engineering
3. Mechanical Engineering
Heat power engineering
Advanced manufacturing engineering
4. Electrical and Electronics
Power and energy systems
5. Electronics & Communication
Digital electronics and advanced communications
6. Chemical Engineering
Chemical plant design
Industrial pollution control engineering
7. Metallurgical and Material Engineering
8. Computer Engineering
Computer science and engineering
9. Mining Engineering
- Strata mechanics in mines*
10. Mathematical and Computational Science
Systems analysis and computer applications
GATE and/or BE/BTech with not less than 50 percent marks in the aggregate in the prescribed qualifying examination (taking into account the marks scored in all subjects of all public/ university examinations conducted during the entire prescribed period for the degree programme). The prescribed minimum shall be 45 percent in the case of SC/ST candidates.
A bachelor's degree in Science, Commerce, Arts, Computer Applications, Engineering/Technology of at least three years duration with not less than 50 percent marks in the aggregate in the first attempt, taking into account the marks scored in all subjects of all university examination conducted during the entire prescribed period of the degree programme. The prescribed minimum shall be 45 percent in the case of SC/ST candidates.
A minimum 60 percent marks in Mathematics at the 10+2 level.
Admission will be based on the rank obtained in the All India MCA Entrance Test (AIMCET 2004) to be conducted by IIT Roorkee. Visit www.iitr.ac.in/aimcet for more information.
A bachelor's degree in any discipline from a recognised university with not less than 60 percent marks in the aggregate in the first attempt, taking into account the marks scored in all subjects of all university examination conducted during the entire prescribed period of the degree programme. Candidates appearing for their final exam may also apply. The prescribed minimum shall be 55 percent in the case of SC/ST candidates.
Admission is based on the rank obtained in CAT (Common Admission Test), the group discussion and the interview.
PhD Programme (Broad specialisations)
1. Civil Engineering -- Structures, Geotechniques, Transportation, Environment, Earth Sciences
2. Applied Mechanics & Hydraulics -- Hydraulics and Water Resource and Marine Structures
3. Mechanical Engineering -- Thermal Engineering, Advanced Manufacturing, Mechatronics
4. Electrical Engineering -- Energy Systems
5. Electronics & Communication -- Micro Electronics, DSP/Communication
6. Chemical Engineering -- Process Development, Particulate System, Biotechnology
7. Metallurgical and Material Engineering -- Mechanical Process, Chemical Process and Materials
8. Computer Engineering -- Software Engineering, Communication Network, Distributed Computing
9. Mining Engineering -- Rock Mechanics, Ground Control, Rock Fragmentation
10. Physics -- Solid State Physics
11. Chemistry -- Physical, Inorganic, Organic Chemistry
12. Humanities -- Management Science
13. Information Technology -- Database, Operating System
14. Mathematics and Computational Sciences -- Graph Theory, Fluid Mechanics, Computer Application, Optimisation, Operations Research, Reliability Engineering
A master's degree in a relevant field of research. The applicant should have passed in at least second class or have got a minimum of 50 percent marks (CGPA 5.0) or its equivalent from a recognised university.
Employed professionals having experience and proven competence will be considered for the PhD programme under the part time scheme and will be allowed to pursue their research at their location of work.
Shortlisted candidates for PG and research programmes (full time and part time) will be called for test/interview for selection. Selected candidates may be considered for financial assistance as per the institute' regulations.
Details regarding eligibility criteria, minimum qualifications and other conditions for admission, stipends and fellowships can be found in the information bulletin supplied with application form.
The application form and information bulletin can be obtained from the Registrar, National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Suratkal, PO Srinivasnagar, Mangalore 575 025 by sending a requisition for the M Tech/MCA/MBA/PhD course with a self-addressed unstamped envelope of the size 23cms x 11cms, superscribed with 'Requisition for Prospectus for M Tech/MCA./MBA/Ph D'. It should be accompanied by a crossed demand draft for Rs 500 (Rs 150 in case of SC/ST) drawn in favour of the Registrar, National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Suratkal, Srinivasnagar, payable at State Bank of India/Canara Bank, at Suratkal.
The application form and information bulletin are also available on cash payment at NITK, Suratkal, from May 3, 2004 during the office hours. Candidates seeking admission for more than one specialisation / programme should obtain and submit separate applications for each course.
The last date for submission of filled in application is June 14, 2004.
The application form and other information can be downloaded from NITK web site www.nitk.ac.in and sent to the Registrar, NITK along with a DD of Rs 500 (Rs 150 in case of SC/ST). Without the DD of the required amount, the application will not be considered.