rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » News » Hand over probe in 13/7 Mumbai blasts to NIA: PIL

Hand over probe in 13/7 Mumbai blasts to NIA: PIL

November 18, 2011 18:52 IST
A public interest litigation has been filed in the Bombay high court demanding that the probe into the July 13 triple bomb blasts in the metropolis be handed over to a Central agency, such as the National Investigation Agency or the Central Bureau of Investigation.

"It is an attack on the nation, and it is the Centre's responsibility to protect the nation," argued advocate V P Patil, the petitioner, in the court on Friday.

At least 27 persons were killed and scores of others injured in the explosions at Dadar, Zavari Bazaar and Opera House areas. The Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad is probing the serial blasts, but no arrests have been made till now.

Patil pointed out that the probe into the blast near Delhi High Court, which took place on September 7, had already been handed over to the NIA. "There has been no progress in the probe (of Mumbai case)," he maintained.

While asking the Maharashtra government to file a reply to the PIL, a Division Bench of Justices Sharad Bobde and V K Tahilramani, however, seemed to disagree with the petitioner's contention.

"Prima facie, we are not inclined to accept your argument," Justice Bobde maintained. "We can not assume that Anti-Terrorism Squad is not competent, or that there is no coordination between (central and state) agencies," he said.

When Patil mentioned about NIA taking over the Delhi HC blast probe, the Judge said, "Delhi is the national capital..." Advocate Patil promptly said, "Mumbai is the commercial capital".

The hearing was adjourned for a week.

© Copyright 2014 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.