At least 25 people have been killed in a series of car bomb explosions targeting a bus station in northern Nigeria. The blasts occurred on Monday at a inter-city bus station in Kano when three suspected suicide bombers came in a Volkswagen Golf car and rammed their vehicle into one of the buses parked there.
Soldiers and police cordoned off the area immediately after the explosions. An eyewitness told PTI over phone that the explosions occurred mainly in an area called Sabon Gari when some commercial buses were filled with passengers and ready to commence their journey to the southern part of the country.
The eyewitness said he counted about 25 bodies after the blast. The police spokesman for the state of Kano, Magaji Majiya confirmed the incident but refused to disclose the casualty figure.
No group has claimed responsibility for the blasts so far but radical Islamist outfit Boko Haram usually carries out such attacks. Boko Haram is waging war to install an Islamic caliphate in the oil-rich African nation.
President Goodluck Jonathan condemned in strong terms the attack, saying that it will not deter the government from taking strong action against those who do not mean well for the nation.
The president also sent his condolences to the families of the victims of the blasts.