The Mumbai police had on Monday claimed to have busted the media cell of the Indian Mujahideen and also stated that the persons arrested were involved in a spate of terror strikes in India, including the train bombings and the twin blasts at Hyderabad.
A close look at the persons arrested by the Mumbai cops gives an indication that most of them were tech savvy and were from respectable backgrounds. Let us take a look at the number of persons arrested so far and also the role each one had to play in the recent spate of bombings.
- Mohammed Mansoor Asgar Peerbhoy: In the absence of both Abdul Subhan and Riaz Bhatkal (according to reports both alleged terror masterminds have fled the country), he is the mastermind available with the Mumbai cops. A tech savvy person, this 31-year-old who is originally a resident of Pune is said to have hacked into WiFi networks and sending out the terror emails following the recent spate of blasts. Peerbhoy was working with a reputed firm and earning a salary of Rs 19 lakh a year.
- Mohammed Ismail Chaudhary: The role of this 28-year-old is being associated with the Surat blasts. A computer engineer by profession and also a resident of Pune, this man too (like Peerbhoy) helped hack into WiFi networks in order to send out mails.
- Mubin Kadar Shaikh: This 24-year-old computer science graduate from Pune helped in sending out E-mails in the name of Indian Mujahideen.
- Asif Bashir Shaikh: The 22-year-old mechanical engineer from Pune has been held for this alleged role in the Surat case. He is suspected to have helped plant the bombs in Surat, which were finally defused by the cops. He is also said to have arranged vehicles in which bombs were planted.
- Mohammed Ali: This Mangalore-based civil contractor was arrested in Ullal, coastal Karnataka for allegedly sheltering members of the Indian Mujahideen. Apart from this, the 44-year-old is also said to have had knowledge of his son's alleged activities with the Indian Mujahideen.
- Javed Ali: Son of Mohammad Ali, this 19-year-old from Ullal is being branded as a criminal conspirator and an active member of the IM.
- Ahmed Bawa: The 33-year-old man from Mulky in coastal Karnataka is said to have played an active part in the Ahmedabad and Surat terror plots. Bawa was a low profile person and worked in a farm at Mulky before he was picked up.