Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections


The Web

India Abroad

Sign up today!

Get news updates:
Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article

Home > India > News > Report

Man arrested in connection with Scarlette's murder

Vicky Nanjappa in Goa | March 10, 2008 08:29 IST
Last Updated: March 10, 2008 11:57 IST

Related Articles
Loose ends in the story of British tourist's death
Why more tourists are breathing their last in Goa

The Goa [Images] police have picked up a man named Samson D'souza for his alleged role in the rape and murder of Scarlette Keeling, the 15-year-old British tourist whose body was found at the Anjuna beach on February 18.

The Goa police, who have registered a case of murder, arrested D'souza, a local resident of Anjuna, and are questioning him to find out whether he had a role to play in the alleged rape and murder of the British tourist.

Inspector General of Police, Kishen Kumar said that D'Souza could have been involved as he was last seen with the girl. Apart from this, three others - Julio, Shanapai and Lui - have also been detained by the police for questioning.

A charge under Section 376 of the Indian Penal Code for rape and Goa Childrens's Act has been slapped on D'Souza and investigations are underway. The police said that even if sex with Scarlette had been consensual, it would amount to rape as she was a minor.

The Goa police said they had evidence to show that D'Souza was last seen with Scarlette on the day she was murdered. There is also evidence to prove that he had sex with the girl that night.

The police are now ascertaining the exact cause of death. "While the fact that she was assaulted, both physically and sexually, is now clear, we want to find out whether she was murdered or died due to drowning," the police said.

Initially, it was reported as death due to drowning, but due to the pressure exerted by the victim's mother, a second autopsy was conducted.

It later came to light that even the first autopsy report had stated stated that the victim had been sexually assaulted. However, the police concealed this fact and registered a case of death by drowning.

The second autopsy report, which was made available late on Saturday night, was in conformity with the first report. The police then said that they were convinced that the girl was assaulted, but would continue to probe whether she had died of drowning later.

The second report, however, made a mention of more wounds on the body of the deceased which were both post and ante-mortem in nature.

Photograph, courtesy: Goa Police