Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Get news updates:
  
Mobile Downloads
Text 67333


Home > India > News > PTI

   Discuss   |      Email   |      Print   |   Get latest news on your desktop

Maharashtra not to implement 70:30 admission formula

July 14, 2008 14:19 IST

The Maharashtra government on Monday informed the Bombay High Court that it would not implement the 70:30 formula during admissions in junior colleges this academic year.

A division bench of Chief Justice Swatanter Kumar and Justice A P Deshpande was hearing a plea challenging the admissions in colleges in Thane region and Mumbai based on the 70:30 formula as per a Government Resolution (GR) dated July 3, 2003.

The court observed that there was no grievance remaining in the case after the state's submission of not implementing the GR and disposed the petition.

The GR held that 70 per cent students will get admissions in colleges within the same district as their residence, leaving 30 per cent seats for outsiders.

The court had earlier stayed the admission process of the junior colleges asking the state government to file its say regarding admission of students in accordance with 70:30 formula.

Advocate general Ravi Kadam, appearing on behalf of the state, said there was much confusion among students and colleges regarding implementation of the GR and so the state has decided not to implement it in this academic year.

The government will examine the background and then implement the GR next year, he added.

The PIL filed by one Pratap Sarnaik from Thane and one Sudhir Barge alleged that implementation of the 70:30 formula would cause serious prejudice to students and defeat the purpose of attaining higher merits.




© Copyright 2008 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.
   Email   |      Print   |   Get latest news on your desktop


Advertisement
Advertisement