|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Terror attack was planned in Goa: Karnataka police
Vicky Nanjappa in Bangalore | February 08, 2008 23:33 IST
Last Updated: February 08, 2008 23:35 IST
Investigations into the Karnataka terror link have now crossed the borders with the police getting information that a terror attack had been planned in Dood Sagar and Castle Rock in Goa [Images].
The revelation was made by Mohammad Asif [Images], a final year MBBS student from the Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences in Hubli.
Sources said that the Asif was taken to Goa as part of the investigation. The Karnataka police are now probing this angle in coordination with their Goa counterparts.
Asif was taken to Goa as there were some seizures to be made. However, police officials refused to disclose whether they recovered anything there.
Asif too like Nasir, the man arrested by the Honally police, said the kingpin was the self proclaimed Students Islamic Movement of India convener of Karnataka Adnan.
Adnan is missing at present and a massive manhunt has been launched to find him. According to the alleged militants, Adnan had planned the entire attack around Karnataka and Goa and they were only obeying his orders.
However, minutes after the news of the arrest of Nasir and Asadulla broke out, Adnan went underground.
Nasir had revealed during the lie detector test that Adnan is carrying with him several AK-47 rifles. He also said that Adnan was a frequent visitor to Bangalore as he had an uncle working in a government office over there.
Meanwhile, the Karnataka police detained six students of a medical college in Hubli for interrogation.
The police detained these nine students, including the son of a former deputy mayor as they suspect they were aware of the operation that was to be undertaken by the terrorist outfits.
It is being said that the arrested persons were close to Asif and hence, they had to be questioned for further leads into the case including the whereabouts of Adnan.
The Corps of Detectives have decided to seek extension of custody of both Nasir and Asadulla, the duo who had been arrested initially on charges of cycle theft before the entire terror plot broke out.
The duo was subject to a narco-analysis test on Friday and is expected to be taken back to Davangere for further investigation on Saturday.