|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Main accused in Dinakaran attack surrenders
May 15, 2007 18:24 IST
The main accused in the Dinakaran newspaper office attack case 'Attack Pandi' on Tuesday surrendered before the police in Madurai and was produced before a lower court, which remanded him to nine days judicial custody.
Magistrate Raveendran, remanded him to judicial custody till May 24 when the case will come up for hearing.
'Attack Pandi' is a history-sheeter against whom seven criminal cases have been registered under the IPC since 1998.
Though he had been acquitted in six, one attempt to murder case filed in 2001 is still pending in a Madurai court.
On May 9, Pandi had allegedly led a group of supporters of M K Azhagiri, elder son of Chief Minister M Karunanidhi, in protests against an opinion poll by the paper favouring his younger brother M K Stalin as being Karunanidhi's political heir.
Pandi and the others are accused of hurling petrol bombs and indulging in arson and violence at the newspaper office, leading to the death of three employees.
Cases under various sections of the IPC, including 302 (murder), arson, violence, rioting and causing damage to property have been filed against them, police said.
Six persons have already been arrested in connection with the attack and Pandi was the seventh to be arrested.
Meanwhile, south zone chairman of Madurai corporation and councillor A Manickam, who had allegedly burnt a copy of the Dinakarn on that day, surrendered before the Melur judicial court. He has been released on bail, police said.